Monday 2 September 2013

I crocheted a Minion

As Patch was so overjoyed to have a Mummy-made Mike to take along to Monster's University, it seemed a good idea to make a Minion for a trip to view the much anticipated Dispicable Me 2. A search on Ravelry resulted in an amazing looking pattern from the blog All About Ami. This was my first attempt at amigurumi and because of the great pattern (and accompanying step-by-step instructions for those that really do need a hand held... goes without saying I had these by my side throughout!) Patch went to the cinema clutching this


Oh my! I had no idea I could produce this... the pattern really is so great! And just look at that hair


This cheeky Minion's goggles and dungarees are removable, and Patch giggles so when he undresses the Minion as his feet are attached to his dungarees. Really, this does tickle Patch. I should have made the goggle strap a little tighter, and the dungarees straps but this just means that Patch's Minion has straps that cross at the back


The wool was purchased from the local (cheaper) old fashioned haberdashery and fabric shop, as opposed to the dreamy and pricey wool shop. After all, this is a child's toy and not one going to be cuddled next to a oh so soft baby's cheek. Surprisingly, my selection of cheaper wool is soft and can happily be cuddled next to Patch's still oh so soft cheeks. The wool is all James C Brett - the yellow is Supreme Baby DK in an inspiring colourway SNG15, the blue and grey are DK with merino DM8 and DM10 respectively, and the black is pure merino DK in PM9.

I did have fun with this make, busily crocheting in the sunny garden, at the beach and sitting in our dear friend's sister's castle. And have decided that a crochet toy gives a nicer finish than a knit. Somehow more sturdy.

I am hoping to show you something other than a toy make next time... I'm sure I have been doing other things...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

7 comments:

  1. That is a world of awesome! I mustn't let my kids see or they will want one... if only my crochet was up to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... he does make me smile! Wasn't too sure my crochet was up to it either, but it really is a great pattern...

      Delete
  2. Thank you... he does make me smile! Wasn't too sure my crochet was up to it either, but it really is a great pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fabulous! Best not let my youngest see this over my shoulder, or he'll be demanding one ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely crocheting a Minion is just how you want to spend these cozy autumnal eves! Oh so worth it to see the smile on P's face...

      Delete
  4. I love minions and yours is absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete