Monday 8 September 2014

The Flash costume

Maybe because I say yes to P's requests for most Mummy makes he looks so happily expectant when he makes another. And so it happened that P was invited to a party where he could dress as any favourite character. He asked to be Flash. Or is it The Flash? Anyway I had no idea who this fictional person was. I attempted to persuade P to go in one of his already made costumes. I tried to reason with him that the invite said favourite character and that surely this couldn't really be a favourite as I wasn't aware of them - this was at the point when I realised looking at that lovely little face that I was indeed going to be making a costume so I could try to make it one I would enjoy doing. And that is how I ended up putting together this Flash costume.
And mostly it really was putting together. The red trousers were bought and I was planning to buy the red long sleeve t too. But not one anywhere. By this stage I realised I was going to have to dye a long sleeve white t and the only shop to sell long sleeve white tees (this was the summer) was closed due to flooding. So I dyed a slightly too short t we already had which is slightly annoying as it started out slightly too small. Also slightly annoying that the washing machine rubber trim is still, may many washes later, a delightful shade of deep pink.

The hood is the helmet pattern from Emma Hardy's cute and easy costumes for kids, cut from a cheap and cheerful adult size red t, and the mask is from the same book. More felt was then used for the flashes - I sandwiched heavy duty interfacing in between the layers of the flashes on the head. The Flash does also have flashes on his legs but I decided to keep these trousers flashless as P has been wearing them as everyday trousers.
I do believe The Flash would also clean his boots before any mission but it gets muddy round here. 

Happily one of the Daddys at the party recognised this as a Flash costume so I was happy. And so was P. Very much so. What will he request next?

2 comments:

  1. It's awesome!! How easy it is to fall into the trap of making once, then forever needing to make in the future as their little eyes look in you in a pleading admiration of your skills ;) I've fallen into that trap many times. Worth it though as this looks great. Bethx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did surprise myself by having fun with this. I shall just make sure I balance these things with pretty floral makes too!

      Delete