Friday 17 October 2014

A pebble vest for Baby Leo... and some sweet trousers too

My dear friend became Mama to Baby Leo a little earlier than expected, which meant that news of his arrival coincided with wool week. I needed no further encouragement. I found some of Patch's baby clothes to parcel up and wanted to send a little handknit too. The pebble vest ( a free pattern by the Thrifty Knitter - on Ravelry here) is perfect for premature babies as it is a fairly small knit, though it can easily be made larger by changing the wool and size needle used.

I had some Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino in the oh-so-full wool basket, which went nicely with the little pile of baby clothes, and so I cosied up for a few hours
A sweet brown vest. I then found at that Leo was too big for P's little clothes and so tried to find some  trousers to go with the already knitted top. The local choice of clothes for an early baby was limited to blues or pinks, a distinct lack of neutrals or anything to go nicely with the sweet brown vest. And then I remembered  I make things! I had seen the dear baby pants by purl bee and was waiting for a suitable excuse. The comments suggested that the smallest size was indeed small so they seemed ideal. It was now a Saturday eve, and so with no hope of a local fabric shop being open on a Sunday, I studied what I already had. I was hoping to find a cheery turquoise gingham (I know I have some somewhere...) and had in fact dashed into the amazing local button shop just before closing on Saturday and purchased these buttons in anticipation. But no, I have no idea where that piece of gingham is. I did find some brown mice fabric and a so soft flannel baby blanket of P's 
A sweet, so quick pair of baby trousers. Just waiting for a baby's bottom. Can you imagine? Baby Leo now has his vest and trousers and the back view of these trousers with a baby bottom in them is so adorable. And here's the front, not quite so exciting... Leo does appear to have mice dancing on their heads from the front view but I'm sure no-one will notice...

6 comments:

  1. Oh these are really, really cute! LOVE the mouse bottom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course every newborn needs mice parading across their bottom! I have since seen a photograph of Baby Leo wearing these trousers and they are indeed really cute...

      Delete
  2. The pants are really adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A sweet pair of trousers for a dear baby quickly made from material in the pile - rather satisfying!

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous outfit! I love the mice, and that Pebble Vest is just lovely, and so practical for a newborn too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, how have I missed replying to a comment left months ago? How rude... sorry! Always lovely to have an excuse to make teeny things

      Delete