Tuesday 26 March 2013

red riding hood

The oh so sweet oliver + s red riding hood from little things to sew. I do say it a few times, most likely when using an oliver + s pattern, but this was a dream to sew!


Main fabric is a red cord, just as I wanted, though with an unfortunate habit of turning anything else in a wash load a non too delicate shade of pink. This meant that my initial lining fabric purchase of a cheery large bright blue gingham wouldn't work. Obviously I only discovered this when I really should have already made and lovingly parcelled the cape up for a little lady's birthday. So with no time for searching the delightful internet fabric shops I had to shop local and oh my it was difficult to find a fabric to coordinate yet with a dark enough background to take the pink if this cape should ever need to be washed. This lining isn't a matchy match but somehow I think it works and though not a dark background I feel it could take a pink tint and still look sweet. No idea what the fabric is other than a cotton found in the depths of the local shop...

Anyway I cut the large size (5-10 years) as the birthday lady is 6. It is rather large. And other than saying it really is a dream to sew the next time I make one I may be tempted to position the arm slits a little higher. Or maybe increase the size of the slits? Suppose they may be very well placed for an older child...

I had a slightly sniffy moment when asking Patch to try it on... for the first time EVER he looked at something and hesitated because it was girly. This from the boy whose favourite colour is pink and adores flowers. Sob.



Parcelled up with this



Do hope you had a happy birthday, Lucy!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. I love this pattern, I've wondered in the past if an adult version wouldn't be too OTT? I fancy one in red tweed...... it's one of those things that makes me wish I had a girl :) I love your version. Bethx (thelinencat)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An adult one would be dreamy! Oooo, red tweed... We saw birthday Lucy a few weeks ago and she did look sweet in her cape, a lovely pattern

      Delete