Thursday 5 April 2018

And now, the Tchaikovsky hat and mitts

I feel rather like our kit Miss Ethel today... I've searched the house for the sunniest, warmest spot to settle into. Strangely it isn't already occupied by Miss Ethel (who is curled up on the bed having found a warm spot as soon as the bed was vacated this morning). I plan to stay here as long as I am allowed, or at least until the sun moves on. It's probably warmer outside actually... We have no heating again. Sigh. This winter will be remembered as the year of mud and feeling cold. Though a great excuse for the woolly makes as we all know wool keeps us warm - preferably with continuous mugs of coffee and possibly some cake or chocolate.

Because of the sun there is no need for wristwarmers in the house today, but oh my have they been put to good use this winter
 The patterns are the Tchaikovsky hat and mitts, the third instalment in Helen Stewart's Knitvent2017.  Grey is my default go-with-anything colour (along with navy, and tan. Or navy and tan) and mainly because I wanted a grey hat, the mitts also ended up being grey. The stitch definition with this CoopKnits Socks Yeah DK weight yarn is oh so clear, and this particular grey is Minos.
Though I did get gauge both of these knits have ended up being slightly large - I probably should have reduced the width of the mitts by a pattern repeat or two, and I did stop knitting the top ribbing by a few rows as my little finger was already hidden. The mitts have a thumb hole, which I prefer possibly over a thumb section maybe, but this one on me is a bit gapey so not as snug as could be. And while I love the deep ribbed section on the hat, again it is slightly big on me, but this has not stopped both of these being my go to knits this winter. Though I would quite like to stop reaching for the woolly hats and mitts now please, Spring. Time for some pretty shawls to be worn.

The sun is still shining through the window, I am yet to be discovered, so I shall stay warm with this lovely Spring-like crochet...

2 comments:

  1. Can’t believe we are still looking longingly at hats and mitts! It’s April for goodness sakes....this winter seems to be going on and on! Sorry to hear you have no heating, still at least there was a little sun to warm yourself with. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, the sun was splendid last week. Though this week back to woolly makes!

      Delete