Friday 4 July 2014

The first of the roller skate dresses...

There has already been one more, and no doubt would be many, many more if I had a need to make such clothes more regularly. So I think this may be the birthday present for every girl we know from now on... Because this pattern - the oliver + s rollerskate dress - is all you could want from a pattern. Easy to follow, actually an easy make but perhaps more time consuming than some makes such as a simple skirt (but really this is easy) and a sweet looking dress once complete. And oh the chance to use some lovely prints.

Or not, as this first one I made in denim
Handily I already had the denim in a pile and I definitely wanted to make it with a yellow lining and ribbon. Sadly no yellow lining found in said pile, so I just had to go fabric buying. Initially I had planned a yellow gingham but all I could find locally was poly cotton but then I found this yellow dotty and all was well. Except I couldn't find any yellow velvet ribbon. Luckily the village haberdashery sells some, and it really is rather lovely with its double sided velvetness
I added yellow top stitching to break up the amount of denim though I wanted to keep it fairly simple so it can be a wear with anything dress. 

I have seen a photograph of the birthday girl wearing the dress and think the sizing is possibly a bit large, but still most certainly wearable. Also, when I do make this again I think I'll make a wider ribbon for the front...

Ooo, another delicious vintage button. If it hadn't looked so perfect it would have been difficult to part with this button. It does help that I still have a few in the tin. Hope you are loving your dress Lucy! And that sunny button...

No comments:

Post a Comment